California Cannabis Advisors
LLCalifornia Cannabis Advisors Grey Black.jpg

Industry News


Emergency regulations from the Bureau of Cannabis Control

The Bureau of Cannabis Control (BCC) is one of three state agencies responsible for developing regulations for medicinal and adult-use cannabis within the state of California. Specifically, they're in charge of licensing several different types of cannabis-related businesses, including retailers, distributors, testing labs and microbusinesses. Here's a quick look at some of the new regulations these businesses will face.


Licensing Options

Like other cannabusiness types, the businesses that deal with the BCC will be allowed to apply for a temporary license while they go through their annual licensing application. A temporary license will allow a business to engage in commercial cannabis activity for 120 days. This type of license will only be issued if the applicant has a valid license (or other authorization) issued by their local jurisdiction. 

Annual licenses are valid for 12 months from the date of issue and can be renewed annually. All commercial cannabis activity must be conducted between licensees (that is, both businesses must have a valid license), and there is no specific restriction on number or types of licenses a person can hold — with the exception of testing laboratories, which are prohibited from licensure for any other commercial activity. 

A licensee must hold an A-license to engage in adult-use cannabis business activity, or an M license to engage in medicinal cannabis business activity. Testing labs, however, may have both, and the other business types can also conduct both adult-use and medicinal business activities — they just have to apply for and receive licenses for each type.

Premises requirements

The regulations also spell out requirements that your premises must adhere to while you conduct your cannabis business activities. For example, you must identify the designated structure and real property where the business will take place.

Also, there are a number of security measures that are required at your location. 

These include the following implementations:

  • Employee badges
  • Designed limited-access areas
  • Security personnel
  • 24-hour video surveillance for:
    • All areas that contain cannabis and cannabis products
    • Entryways
    • Exits
    • Point-of-sale areas
  • Age limit of 21 or older for all employees

Your business must also have a plan in place for cannabis waste management, including making sure the cannabis waste is not sold and that you comply with all local laws. 

More cannabis business regulations abound

The above regulations are definitely not all-inclusive — they're actually quite extensive and it's easy to get overwhelmed. However, CCA is here for you every step of the way. CCA differs from other consultants and lawyers as we will work with your business from the very beginning, and will interact with local officials to ensure compliance.

Monica Beyer